John Johnston, farm grieve or servant, and Elizabeth Fairgrieve and their descendants
Please note whereas I try to ensure that what I publish is correct, and to differentiate between what is supported by documentation etc, and what is, in my opinion, a reasonable assumption, everything should be treated with caution. If you have come across information that you believe is relevant to your own research please either verify it independently or drop me a line to confirm its validity. Equally if believe something is incorrect, or if you wish to add any details or discuss please get in touch using the Contact Form.
If you have come to this page via a browser, I hope you will find something of interest here or elsewhere in our other Hendry Family History Pages.
Details of further sons of John Johnston and Elizabeth Fairgrieve, married 22nd November 1795, Lasswade parish.
It would seem that John Johnston and Elizabeth Fairgrieve had a further two sons John Johnston born circa 1804 and William Johnston born circa 1814. This information was supplied by Stephanie Johnson (email firstname.lastname@example.org). A lot of this was researched by an Ian Johnston in England and unfortunately she has lost touch with him. I have been able to confirm William as a son of John and Elizabeth as his death certificate lists his parents as John Johnston, farm servant, and Elizabeth Fairgrieve. Stephanie's g-g-g-grandfather John's death certificate lists his parents as John Johnston, coachman, and Elizabeth Johnston, maiden surname not given, which unfortunately does not confirm that he is a son of our John Johnston and Elizabeth Fairgrieve. It is of course possible that there is other info to which I am not privy which establishes this relationship.
I have included the details of both John and William and their descendents as supplied by Stephanie in the following pages. Stephanie also is in the process of putting all her info on the web at http://home.earthlink.net/~myfamilygen.
1. John Johnston was born about 1804 in Hawthorndene, Lasswade, Midlothian. He died on 7 Jun 1860 in 16 Richmond Place, Edinburgh. John first married Margaret Foggo on 18 Apr 1824 in St Cuthberts, Edinburgh. Margaret was born about 1804. She died about 1845. John and Margaret had the following children:
John secondly married Isabella Swan daughter of William Swan and Elizabeh Menzies Leggat on 6 Apr 1849 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian. Isabella was born about 1816 in Manchester, England. She died on 26 Sep 1890 in 14 Cowans Close, East Crosscauseway,Edinburgh. John and Isabella had the following children:
8. David Johnston (John) was born about 1849 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh. He died on 29 Dec 1919 in Hart Street Lane, Edinburgh. David married Catherine Vallance on 31 Dec 1868. Catherine was born on 8 Jul 1849 in 7 St Leonards Hill, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh. She died on 3 Feb 1912 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh. David and Catherine had the following children:
9. Thomas Vallance Johnston (David, John) was born on 25 Mar 1871 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh. Thomas married Clara Schweitzer on 23 Oct 1898 in Newark, New Jersey, U.S.A.. Clara was born about Sep 1875 in New York, U.S.A.. Thomas and Clara had the following children:
10. John Johnston (David, John) born on 11 Dec 1872 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh. He died about 1913. John married Sarah Bishop Anderson on 11 Dec 1896 in 87 Great King Stree, Edinburgh. Sarah was born on 10 Nov 1878 in Angle Park, Colinton, Edinburgh. She died on 17 Feb 1920 in Royal Infirmary. Edinburgh. John and Sarah had the following child:
12. Alexander Ramage Johnston (David, John) was born on 5 Jan 1876 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh. He died on 21 Jan 1918 in Bloomfield, New Jersey, U.S.A.. Alexander ?married? Ellen Tait Moffat. Alexander and Ellen had the following child:
17. Robert Vallance Johnston (David, John) was born on 11 May 1890 in 1 Dunbar Street, Edinburgh. He died on 5 May 1966 in Hale, Cheshire. Robert married Margaret Davidson on 20 Oct 1911 in Trinity Mission hall, St Bernards. Margaret was born on 9 Sep 1889 in Victoria Square, Nethergate, Dundee. She died on 8 May 1989 in Winchester, Hampshire. Robert and Margaret had the following child:
1. William Johnston was born about 1814 in Lasswade, Midlothian. He died on 21 Oct 1863 in Roslin, Lasswade, Midlothian. William married Jane McWilliam daughter of James McWilliam and Jean Ormiston on 10 Jun 1836 in Lasswade, Midlothian. Jane was christened on 3 Sep 1815 in Dalkeith, Midlothian. She died on 19 Mar 1889 in Stanley Place, Roslin, Lasswade. William and Jane had the following children:
2. Jane Ormiston Johnston (William). Jane married William Wallace Auld son of Peter Auld and Mary Wallace on 30 Nov 1864 in 178 Cannongate, Edinburgh. William was born on 26 Feb 1837 in West Calder. Jane and William had the following children:
3. John Lawson Johnston (William) was born on 28 Sep 1839 in Roslin, Lasswade. He died on 24 Nov 1900 in Cannes, France. John married Elizabeth Elliot . Elizabeth was born about 1851 in Edinburgh. John was the inventor of Bovril. Two of his children were born in Quebec, Canada, where he started his Bovril factory production before moving back to London in 1884. Although he himself received no honours for his invention his son George was created 1st Baron Luke. John and Elizabeth had the following children:
4. James McWilliam Johnston (William) was born on 18 Nov 1841 in Lasswade, Midlothian. He died about 1887. James married Ann Graham daughter of David Graham and Marjory McGregor on 16 Oct 1866 in Edinburgh. Ann was born on 25 Aug 1841 in Edinburgh. James and Ann had the following children:
8. Margaret Johnston (William) was born about 1853 in Lasswade, Midlothian. She died on 31 Jan 1933 in Gillespie Place, Edinburgh. Margaret married Robert Skinner on 26 Dec 1890 in Evangelical Union Church, Fountainbridge. Robert was born about 1864. He died about 1932. Robert and Margaret had the following child:
20. George Lawson Johnston (John Lawson, William) was born on 9 Sep 1873 in 2 Blacket Place, Edinburgh. He died in 1943. The family seem to have started using the surname Lawson-Johnston hereafter. George married Edith Laura St Johns daughter of 16th Baron of Blesto St Johns. Edith was born in 1879. She died in 1941.George Lawson Johnston, 1st Baron Luke, Businessman and philanthropist married Edith Laura St Johns daughter of Baron of Blesto St Johns. Edith was born in 1879. County Commissioner for the Girl Guides, Bedfordshire Edith died in 1941. George and Edith had the following children: